Geany as a Common Lisp IDE

Discussion of other useful tools
JasonFruit

Geany as a Common Lisp IDE

Post by JasonFruit » Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:30 am

Has anyone tried to set up a Common Lisp syntax highlighting and indentation file for Geany and recompile it to use it? If you have a useful starting point, I'd love to work with it; I'm doing a live-CD distribution that includes Emacs and SLIME, but some people have expressed a (misguided) desire for a more "standard" editor. Geany is a nice light text editor that I often use for Python when I'm on Windows, and I thought it might be a good choice.

hajovonta

Re: Geany as a Common Lisp IDE

Post by hajovonta » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:26 am

Unfortunately I don't use Geany, but I'm interested in your live CD distribution, if that's public. Care to share?

schoppenhauer

Re: Geany as a Common Lisp IDE

Post by schoppenhauer » Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:51 am

I would not consider this desire "misguided". Emacs is pretty old and creates its "own world", the problem so far was that most modern feature-rich editors are bloated (NetBeans, Eclipse). So people stick with emacs, vi, pico and their ancestors. However, Geany seems to have a quite reasonable plugin API (http://www.geany.org/manual/reference/howto.html) though I have not tried it yet, and even though you can broach Greenspun's Tenth Rule, the fact that it bases on C makes it small and comparably platform-independent.

While I guess syntax highlightening and code folding should be quite easy, the question is whether it is possible to create something like a SLIME-plugin to Geany. As soon as that would be possible, it would be a nice alternative, I guess.

As far as I remember, SLIME and SWANK communicate using some RPC protocol, with S-Expressions sent from emacs to lisp. How hard would it be to partially implement it in C?
Sorry for my bad english.
Visit my blog http://blog.uxul.de/