Auto documentation for lisp?(output html, prefered)

Discussion of Common Lisp
gugamilare

Re: Auto documentation for lisp?(output html, prefered)

Post by gugamilare » Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:51 am

I use clbuild, it can update everything in an easy way - you ask for updating a lib, it updates all of it's dependencies, just like a package manager. I don't think shipping dependencies together is the best answer anyway, but the problem is asdf-install.

Jasper

Post by Jasper » Sun Mar 22, 2009 6:23 pm

If certain sources 404, i can hardly blame asdf for that. Asdf itself might have problems, but maybe the servers hosting the files need to have backups.. Thanks for the link, i'll probably try it at some point.

findinglisp

Post by findinglisp » Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:06 am

I think the real issue here is that you need a centralized repository to store all this stuff. ASDF-INSTALL, is, IMO, broken, because it has too many dependencies on various systems. In particular, it depends on Cliki and all the various individual web sites that host each of the packages. Cliki serves as the master catalog, and then each package is served by whatever means the original creator of the package wants to use. If a site goes down or somebody gets lazy and lets their domain name expire, it breaks all the other ASDF-INSTALL packages that depend on a package that goes away.

IMO, what's needed is ultimately something like CPAN. The virtue of systems like CPAN is that once a module is uploaded, it remains available to everybody in whatever state it is in as long as required. The author can get lazy, go off-grid for months, or even die and the system continues to function as long as CPAN itself remains up and running.
Cheers, Dave
Slowly but surely the world is finding Lisp. http://www.findinglisp.com/blog/

ramarren

Post by ramarren » Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:54 am

Perhaps Mudballs will become something like CPAN for CL. I haven't tried using it myself yet, but it looks pretty nice. Hopefully the maintainer will not get bored and drop this project... alas, package management systems are rather tedious.

gugamilare

Post by gugamilare » Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:25 pm

Mudballs, as much as I understand, is a replacement for ASDF, not only ASDF-install. I have nothing against it, but I don't have any reasons to abandon ASDF itself, and almost all projects already use ASDF, which means everyone have it already installed and configured. The combination clbuild+asdf seems perfect for me.

aerique

Post by aerique » Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:52 am

gugamilare wrote:Mudballs, as much as I understand, is a replacement for ASDF, not only ASDF-install.
This is a quote from the mudballs site:
Mudballs primary purpose is not System Definition but Repeatable System Distribution.
So it is not just a replacement for ASDF.