Free Lisp with CLIM or at least menus, for Windows

Discussion of Common Lisp
Hogge

Free Lisp with CLIM or at least menus, for Windows

Post by Hogge » Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:58 am

I need to build a prototype on Windows using Lisp (preferably Common Lisp) that has CLIM or at least a popup menu system. It has to be free or cheap. I'm not choosey, would learn any Lisp dialect or Scheme.

Thanks!
-John

sylwester

Re: Free Lisp with CLIM or at least menus, for Windows

Post by sylwester » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:39 am

DrRacket and the, Scheme like, language racket has windows/GUI libraries. Hopefully someone else will come with a CL alternative for you, but this is the first thing that came to mind when seeing the question :D

Racket is free software (LGPL).
I'm the author of two useless languages that uses BF as target machine.
Currently I'm planning a Scheme compiler :p

Goheeca

Post by Goheeca » Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:16 pm

I use in CL for GUI the Qt libraries via CommonQt. McCLIM a free implementation of CLIM is said to work on windows with backends: gtkairo, Graphic-Forms, but I haven't figured out to work it. That's a pity.
cl-2dsyntax is my attempt to create a Python-like reader. My mirror of CLHS (and the dark themed version). Temporary mirrors of aferomentioned: CLHS and a dark version.

edgar-rft

Post by edgar-rft » Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:41 pm

Commercial Common Lisp implementations with GUI support on Windows:
Free or no-cost Common Lisp implementations known to run on Windows:
  • ABCL is a Common Lisp implementation in Java. ABCL can use the Java GUI via its own FFI.
  • CCL, SBCL and CLISP are Common Lisp implementations known to run on Windows, all three need additional GUI libraries (see below).
Free or no-cost Common Lisp GUI libraries:
  • McClim is a free CLIM implementation. But it's not a complete CLIM implementation and under Windows you would need an X-Window emulator like Cygwin or Xming. Please don't ask me any details how to get McClim running on Windows.
  • LTk is a Common Lisp wrapper around "wish", the "windowing shell" of Tcl/Tk. LTk is known to work on Windows.
Other possibilities:

If you're looking for an "easy" solution for Windows and have no problems with learning some Scheme then I recommend using Racket, like sylvester already wrote above.

This list is probably incomplete and maybe some Scheme enthusiasts know some more Scheme-based GUI solutions.

- edgar

sylwester

Post by sylwester » Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:21 pm

It's probably worth mentioning that LispWorks, though not free, has a zero dollar cost personal license.
I'm the author of two useless languages that uses BF as target machine.
Currently I'm planning a Scheme compiler :p

edgar-rft

Post by edgar-rft » Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:55 pm

Both Franz and Lispworks provide no-cost evaluation versions of their Common Lisp implementations:
AFAIK the Franz Allegro Express Edition is limited to 30 days and the LispWorks Personal Edition includes CAPI but not CLIM.

- edgar

nuntius

Post by nuntius » Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:15 pm

If you are looking for a Java-based lisp, Clojure is also a good option.

Hogge

Post by Hogge » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:25 am

Thanks everyone! After posting, LispWorks support emailed me back, pointing to their CAPI instead of CLIM. They provided some generous free support to help me ID the one menu feature I needed, and I have enough to start my prototype.

It was alot of googling on my specific question before I reached this forum. (Should have googled Lisp Forum.) Then the forum registration process asked "what are those round things"; almost failed that. BTW they're curvey things, not round! partly round things, even.

It was an interesting experience taking up Lisp and Emacs again after 26 years, and no programming since roughly 15 years ago! Such a rich language, and tools appears sweet so far, these days. The LispWorks editor parses the code and displays using color; perhaps this is so common now you'll roll your eyes. Free hypertext documentation on Common Lisp itself. Naaa iicce LET the hacking begin!!

Regards,
--Hogge
p.s. Common Lisp could use public/private...but I guess it's too late for that. :-)

nuntius

Post by nuntius » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:14 am

Hogge wrote:p.s. Common Lisp could use public/private...but I guess it's too late for that. :-)
Getting off-topic for this thread, but ... In CL, public/private is effectively part of symbol name resolution in the package system. Put your structure in a separate package. Only extern the public parts of the API.

pjstirling

Post by pjstirling » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:24 pm

public/private are about restricting the damage that 'bad' programmers can do to your program, but common-lisp in general is about empowering programmers to do what they think is best. As nuntius said, exported symbols are your public api, people using double-colon to access internals are aware of the dragons they are poking.