processing video matrix

Discussion of Common Lisp
calmchessplayer

processing video matrix

Post by calmchessplayer » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:16 am

What hardware and software packages do I need to run to process video matrixes with lisp? My goal is to use lisp to identify and process pixel ranges,pixel colors, shapes from a pre recorded video feed. Any help in pointing me in the right direction to get started would be great. I've never written lisp code but am well versed in other programming languages I thought I would use the above mentioned project as something to get started with. Thanks.

hayden

Re: processing video matrix

Post by hayden » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:47 pm

Oh man, I can't really help you with your problem, but let me tell ya, you are in for one hell of a ride.

In my experience, you don't really "jump in" to Lisp. It's a bit harder than that. I'd recommend a few books to get you started:

Paul Graham's ANSI Common Lisp, followed by his book On Lisp.

Practical Common Lisp is decent too, I personally don't like Seibel's style, but some people disagree.
/prog/'s fibonacci sort

edgar-rft

Re: processing video matrix

Post by edgar-rft » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:21 am

calmchessplayer wrote:What hardware and software packages do I need to run to process video matrixes with lisp? My goal is to use lisp to identify and process pixel ranges,pixel colors, shapes from a pre recorded video feed.
Please define "pre recorded video feed". If it's on a hardware recorder (e.g. DV/DVC or Betacam) you need a respective hardware interface, usually a normal or high-speed Firewire interface. If it's a file on the harddisk in your computer then you don't need any special hardware, any computer built in the last ten years is sufficient.

Everything you need for video processing are some array functions and some DSP knowledge. The array functions are already part of Common Lisp, you don't need any special libraries or software packages other than a standard Common Lisp implementation for that.

How to get a Common Lisp implementation up and running depends largely on your operating system. With any Linux distribution there should be at least CCL, CLISP, or SBCL available via the package manager of the Linux distribution.

More information can be found in the CLiki under Getting Started.

- edgar