my-union (Touretzky / exercise 8.52.)

You have problems, and we're glad to hear them. Explain the problem, what you have tried, and where you got stuck.
Feel free to share a little info on yourself and the course.
Forum rules
Please respect your teacher's guidelines. Homework is a learning tool. If we just post answers, we aren't actually helping. When you post questions, be sure to show what you have tried or what you don't understand.
chuchana

my-union (Touretzky / exercise 8.52.)

Post by chuchana » Tue May 12, 2015 12:17 pm

Not really homework, but because of the kind of question I guess this is probably the right place:

I am going through Common Lisp: A Gentle Introduction to Symbolic Computation. In exercise 8.52., I do not understand why the solution in the book uses a helper function.

The book's solution:

Code: Select all

(defun my-union (x y)
      (append x (union-recursively x y)))
(defun union-recursively (x y)
      (cond ((null y) nil)
            ((member (first y) x)
             (union-recursively x (rest y)))
            (t (cons (first y)
                     (union-recursively
                        x
                        (rest y))))))
My solution:

(defun my-union (x y)
  (cond ((null x) y)
        ((member (car x) y)
         (my-union (cdr x) y))
        (t (cons (car x)
                 (my-union (cdr x) y)))))
Mine seems to behave correctly. Does the book's solution have any advantages?

I found Lisp function: union while looking for an explanation and saw that my solution could not deal with non-list inputs, but the one from the book cannot either, and the Hyperspec says that the arguments of union should be proper lists.

edgar-rft

Re: my-union (Touretzky / exercise 8.52.)

Post by edgar-rft » Sat May 16, 2015 1:55 am

The difference is subtle and not visible on the first view, but APPEND makes copies of all of its arguments, except of its last argument. For the last argument the elements are copied by the recursive function from the y-list. The result is a list that is completely independent from the structure of the original input lists. This sounds complicated, but I will show what that means by a few simple examples.

David Touretzky's and your code, both seem to produce the same result, here the list (1 2 3 4) stored in the z variable:

(defparameter x (list 1 2 3))
(defparameter y (list 2 3 4))
(defparameter z (my-union x y))

x => (1 2 3)
y => (2 3 4)
z => (1 2 3 4)
The invisible difference is that with David Touretzky's code the z-list contains copies of the elements in the original y-list, while with your code the z-list contains a direct reference (a pointer) to the original y-list:

(defun my-union (x y)
  (cond ((null x) y)  ; <- y returns a pointer to the first cons cell of the y-list
        ((member (car x) y)
         (my-union (cdr x) y))
        (t (cons (car x)
                 (my-union (cdr x) y)))))
This difference becomes visible as soon as you try to modify elements in the z-list that come from the y-list.

With David Touretzky's code:

(setf (fourth z) 5)

x => (1 2 3)
y => (2 3 4)
z => (1 2 3 5)  ; <- fourth element modified (desired effect)
With your code:

(setf (fourth z) 5)

x => (1 2 3)
y => (2 3 5)    ; <- third element modified (unwanted effect)
z => (1 2 3 5)  ; <- fourth element modified (desired effect)
The y-list gets modified because the z-list contains a pointer to the y-list and not independent copies of the elements in the y-list. The last three elements in the z-list are the elements of the y-list, not copies of the elements. Changing one of these elements in one list also changes the element in the other list:

(setf (first y) 0)

x => (1 2 3)
y => (0 3 5)    ; <- first element modified (desired effect)
z => (1 0 3 5)  ; <- second element modified (unwanted effect)
You can avoid this unwanted behaviour by using COPY-LIST like this:

(defun my-union (x y)
  (cond ((null x) (copy-list y))
        ((member (car x) y)
         (my-union (cdr x) y))
        (t (cons (car x)
                 (my-union (cdr x) y)))))
Now your function works like David Touretzky's code.

I assume that David Touretzky did not want to discuss the subtle differences how "copy by value" and "copy by reference" work with Common Lisp lists because teaching the basics is already complicated enough and APPEND was already introduced in the book.

Practical Common Lisp, chapter 12: List Processing explains the difference in more detail but if you're still fighting with the basics save these links for later.

As a rule of thumb one can say that Common Lisp generally passes arguments by reference (pointers) and does not make copies from complex data structures unless explicitely told to do so by functions like COPY-LIST. The behaviour of APPEND is a very rare exception.

BTW, I've learned Common Lisp from the Touretzky book, too. :D

- edgar

chuchana

Post by chuchana » Wed May 20, 2015 12:27 am

Thank you for your detailed explanation! I started with Practical Common Lisp, but I went to this book when I was not sure about something and I stayed with it because of the exercises.

- pascal

edgar-rft

Post by edgar-rft » Wed May 20, 2015 10:04 am

I had worked with several other programming languages before and started learning Lisp with David Tourtzky's Gentle Introduction, but found it "too basic" (what is not true, but I didn't realized it at that time). Then I read Peter Seibel's Practical Common Lisp, David Lamkin's Sucessful Lisp and several other books but still didn't see the full picture. The breakthrough came approx. two years later when I re-read Gentle Introduction and finally understood why it's not basic...

- edgar

sylwester

Post by sylwester » Sun May 31, 2015 11:07 am

It's common for function to share structure so I wouln't say your solution is wrong.

The main differences perhaps is that the elements in the result are not in the same order. Sets are not usually ordered so I can't see how that would be wrong either. You can also make a tail recursive solution like this:

(defun my-union (x y)
  (labels ((aux (x acc)
             (cond ((null x) acc)
                   ((member (car x) y)
                    (my-union (cdr x) acc))
                   (t (my-union (cdr x) 
                                (cons (car x) acc))))))
    (aux x y)))

(my-union '(1 2 3 4 5) '(4 5 6 7 8 9 10))
;==> (3 2 1 4 5 6 7 8 9 10)
I'm the author of two useless languages that uses BF as target machine.
Currently I'm planning a Scheme compiler :p