Average Lisp age?

Whatever is on your mind, whether Lisp related or not.

Re: Average Lisp age?

Postby Owain » Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:49 pm

Im 15, but I’m not arrogant like most young would-be programmers.
Owain

Postby Mikeb » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:25 pm

28. Started programming about a year ago, for a personal project, learned Ruby and OCaml, but then started on Clojure.

Now I'm using Common Lisp (SBCL) and loving it.
Mikeb

Postby GengyangCai » Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:40 pm

Im 32 ... just started learning Lisp. Reading Paul Graham's Ansi Common Lisp ... but is pretty tough
GengyangCai

Postby gekkonier » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:11 am

Hi!
I'm 37 and am a hobby programmer.

I sh*t you not, but this got me onto the lisp train: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HM1Zb3xmvMc while surfing for no reason.
After that I googled around and found Racket, what I use since about a year for inhouse scripting.

Now I'm diving into common lisp. Therefore I'm learning Emacs too, because of reasons.

It's fun! I like! And I annoy everyone around me with my enthusiasm ;)
gekkonier

Postby invlpg » Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:55 am

Hi everyone. I'm 17...

My functional programming story started with learning Haskell just over a year ago. Initially, I found wrapping my head around functional programming concepts insanely difficult... but, one day, it all just sort of clicked, and everything fell into place, and it has sort of become a natural way of thinking about programming now. Every time I go back to an imperative language, I think about how much easier it would be to implement the same thing in a functional language.

Anyway, a couple of months ago, I decided to step up to learning a Lisp dialect, as I had heard much lore about it being "God's chosen language" and whatever. I decided to learn Clojure.

It really gave me a new perspective. It made me see Haskell more like baby's first functional programming language, rather than seeing it as some complicated language that not many people would understand - it seemed both lacking in power, but also unnecessarily complex (especially in its dense syntax) compared to Lisp.

I am only now just starting to learn Common Lisp (SBCL), but if it weren't for my initial venture in learning Clojure, I wouldn't have discovered the joy that is writing Lisp in Emacs, and I would have remained a firm Vim believer.
invlpg

Postby HerbM » Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:28 am

Next month (Jul 2017) is my 65th birthday, and since age 28 I have had an unrequited love affair with Lisp.

Never had the chance to do any significant Lisp professionally, but have continuously returned to studying and wanting to learn it well.

It was always my opinion the Lisp programmers were "just plain smarter" (on average) than most other programmers and I want to be one of them when I grow up.

Recently my interests turned seriously to Functional Programming which the Lisp community has been doing since before the Moon landing.

Perhaps it is really the Functional Programmers who are smarter, but I still want to be one of those people is (when I grow up.)
HerbM

Previous

Return to The Lounge