what code/packages do i need to start on ai?

Discussion of Common Lisp
Leck

what code/packages do i need to start on ai?

Post by Leck » Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:34 pm

I found this forum after doing a keyword search in the metasearch engine "dogpile" with keyword "lisp forum" where this was the 2nd most number of hits. (that probably means this is the 2nd most popular forum for lisp in english)

so i'm no newbie to programming. i've created a very basic conversational program in visual basic, and i am attempting to make weak artificial intelligence natively running on linux. my question is if common lisp is the best language for this, and if so, what compilations of code should i download to structure my lisp environment best to creating weak ai. I'm only looking to get simple things done like write an electric eye program which can notice people, and then obviously interact with them. i also would like the ai to write its own drivers, browse search engines with the intention to fetch information and download things from the internet, stuff like that.

i understand lisp is a fully customizable programming language, but i don't need to write some of the things myself which aren't included in lisp. i found a good package of software named "lispbox" and it didn't work, so i had to figure out how to install the parts myself. i successfully installed it and i'm able to run the print thingy. lisp is a bit overwhelming even to a veteren programmer as myself. i wish i had learned lisp in college. i think it would be a waste of time taking a class for lisp because i learn so quickly. i think the people who frequent this forum will be able to help me with some of my questions.

ever think of adding a chat room? maybe irc or that i noticed it looks like this forum runs on phpbb. i saw a program named "gecko" many years ago, which is supposed to integrate into phpbb easily. i'm sure whoever runs this forum could simply write a chat room by hand. i'm impressed so far with this forum, and i'm not a brown noser 8p. i try to always communicate exactly what i mean and not imply anything. if people might lie, what is the point of communication? that's one reason i fancy writing ai.

i'm almost finished my debian spin of leck linux the website is here if anyone cares about a linux distrobution which integrates ai into the os.
http://www.lecksite.com/linux.html

Kohath

Re: what code/packages do i need to start on ai?

Post by Kohath » Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:02 am

Hi Leck, welcome to LispForum. It seems as though you're getting many views but no replies :(. I don't know enough to answer your questions, but I'd say Common Lisp is up there on the hypothetical list of best programming languages for AI.

So, thoughts on topics you mention:
  • Electronic eye: You'll probably want a way to interact with cameras or other 'eyes'. I'd recommend CFFI for the foreign function interface. I'm not sure about how you'd process the information you get back - perhaps with a matrix library? It depends on what algorithms you want to implement.
  • Write drivers: Lisp is good for that, see macros :). Although getting an AI to write it's own would be difficult - you'd likely have to specify the interface and behavior fairly strictly (i.e. in enough detail that you could program it yourself). But perhaps you could provide a working sample interface and get your AI to explore it somehow.
  • Browse search engines: This one doesn't sound too hard - have a look at Drakma, CL-HTML-Parse and maybe even Closure HTML.
About adding a chat room, I don't know why one wasn't added. I believe there is an IRC channel for Common Lisp somewhere though. You'd have to use some other program/site to chat there though.

Anyway, best of luck!