Ecl+Windows+Unicode in Swank

Discussion of Common Lisp
Harnon

Ecl+Windows+Unicode in Swank

Post by Harnon » Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:35 pm

I am trying to get swank and ecl to work together with unicode mode. This is because i want cusp to work with it, and it uses a unicode pipe. I have made ecl 9.4.1 and have tried to get it load swank, which it does, and then get it to start with unicode, which it doesn't. My question is, has anyone had experience with getting ecl to work with unicode+swank on windows? Does the latest version, of which i can't seem to build, support this?
Many Thx!

jjgarcia

Re: Ecl+Windows+Unicode in Swank

Post by jjgarcia » Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:22 am

Harnon wrote:as anyone had experience with getting ecl to work with unicode+swank on windows? Does the latest version, of which i can't seem to build (... 9.4.1 ...), support this?
Support for ecl on top of mingw32 was somewhat lacking, as it was also support for Unicode under Windows. This will improve with the new release, to be made this week. I am not sure about swank, though.

Juanjo

Harnon

Post by Harnon » Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:46 am

I'm actually using microsoft visual c++ to compile, though i will be using mingw as the c compiler for ecl. Can't wait for these newer versions to be built on windows + threads to be available (or maybe i'm just doing something wrong...)

jjgarcia

Post by jjgarcia » Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:04 pm

Harnon wrote:I'm actually using microsoft visual c++ to compile, though i will be using mingw as the c compiler for ecl. Can't wait for these newer versions to be built on windows + threads to be available (or maybe i'm just doing something wrong...)
Ok, if you are using microsoft visual c++ then you will definitely be able to use the new release with threads (mingw32 users can not use threads because the garbage collector is broken, read the mailing list archives).

However, regarding the upcoming release, if you need to use Unicode on the standard input and output streams you might need to change the stream-external-format (setf (stream-external-format *standard-input*) :utf8), etc, because they are set to :ascii or :latin1 by default.