GNU CLISP on Windows7

Discussion of Common Lisp
roboticist

GNU CLISP on Windows7

Post by roboticist » Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:09 am

I'm doing a little tutoring, and the student has installed GNU CLISP on Windows. Obviously, there are differences from using emacs as a text editor.

The first question is: How do I move to the next line in the REPL so I get logical separation and indents formatting instead of huge one-line commands?

The second question is: Is there a good tutorial on producing good product using CLISP? Is there a tips and tricks repository somewhere?

Thanks,

Mike

aidlt

Re: GNU CLISP on Windows7

Post by aidlt » Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:06 pm

Why not use Emacs with CLISP?

What do you mean by `producing result'? You could try to build any open source project...

roboticist

Post by roboticist » Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:44 am

Thank you for your reply.

I'm using CLISP on Windows 7, and simply wanted to format the entries in REPL by using tabs to indent. Of course, I got something different from what I expected. This is a tutoring project, so I'm trying to make it as easy as possible.

I may just move to Racket, or I may actually implement emacs on Windows, but I'm just trying to eliminate admin overhead.

As for output; I think I'll just direct my student to Project Euler and see what that does.

But, OK, suppose you want to create a list of skills to master in LISP, such as the ones on this site: http://www.philipreames.com/Blog/things ... m-to-know/

Examples and practice are the keys to mastering any skill, and I was looking for example sites. I have:

http://www.codechef.com/problems/easy

and resources for books. I was hoping there was a cool site especially for LISP.

roboticist

Post by roboticist » Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:23 am

UPDATE: I moved the student to newLISP, but I would still like to know how to edit my code in GNU-CLISP on Windows 7 if anyone has an answer.

Mike

edgar-rft

Post by edgar-rft » Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:41 am

The usual way to run CLISP (or any other Common Lisp implementation on any operating system) is using Emacs and SLIME.

The only other way I know with CLISP is using the readline library (if CLISP is compiled with readline, what it usually is) and setting up your own readline keybindings and editor functions, what is a multiple pain than using Emacs and SLIME:
Lisp beginner tutorials for people who have never programmed before:
-edgar

aidlt

Post by aidlt » Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:36 am

roboticist wrote:I may actually implement emacs on Windows
It has been ported to Windows. One can even install LispBox and not care about Emacs settings or Lisp implementations (since one is included).

Other options are vim + slimv and perhaps able.