What are you doing in Common Lisp lately?

Discussion of Common Lisp
wm.annis

Re: What are you doing in Common Lisp lately?

Post by wm.annis » Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:26 am

findinglisp wrote:Very cool. Lisp needs some more Prolog-like libraries.
Several commercial Lisps have really good offerings for this, but the open choices seem to be mostly associated with books (PAIP, On Lisp) and so require a lot of dancing to disentangle from everything else that comes with the book — to say nothing of licensing confusions.
I started learning a bit of Prolog the other day, and while I really couldn't see writing a large program only in Prolog, I can see that it would be very handy for solving certain smaller problems within a larger Lisp program.
Yep. It's underrated as a database, at least by people who don't know it.
ἀραχναῖος ὗς ἀραχναῖος ὗς —
πράττει ἄττ’ ἂν πράττῃ ἀραχναῖός τις ὗς..

pTymN

Post by pTymN » Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:57 am

Writing video games with it :) http://nightschool.near-time.net

skypher

Post by skypher » Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:15 am

Writing a semi-commercial browser game (http://beta.thanandar.de/)

Alex Ati

Post by Alex Ati » Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:00 am

I'm working on two dynamic web pages, a simple one that's mainly an image voting system, and on a bigger one that manages flashcards, as a shared learning tool.

lnostdal

Post by lnostdal » Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:33 pm

hi,
i'm currently working on a widget based web framework for Common Lisp: http://groups.google.com/group/symbolicweb
  • not using continuations .. designing it as a simple "state machine" on the server .. history is maintained on the client instead; rationale is that this needs to happen anyway since one need to be able to reference to (link to) state in the application in the first place
  • comet support .. doing things like (setf (background-color-of some-widget) "red") in the REPL (or wherever) propagates to the client instantly
  • focus on getting the low level stuff right; dom, attributes, css, events, url/history/back-button .. then building widgets etc. on this
  • some unique, i think, features like ability to share a single widget between multiple clients/users .. a container widget is particularly interesting for instance (see the chat example for a shared container widget in use)
.. at the moment i'm porting the "navigation, history and referenceability" support ( http://ajaxpatterns.org/Unique_URLs , i guess it's also called REST) to IE .. *sigh* .. we should all be billing extra for MS and IE support and mention that "this and that" is for adding support for MS's products

.. next up is adding support for "views" as mentioned in this thread; http://groups.google.com/group/symbolic ... 6c002ec6f1 .. i'm actually looking forward to working on this after this little IE nightmare .. :D

..anyway, i'm having a blast with lisp..
Last edited by lnostdal on Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

gutzofter

Post by gutzofter » Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:03 pm

A Synchronous Event Framework. It will store closures in a hash. It will also be multi-broadcast, Each event can have more than 1 listener.

tsuru

Post by tsuru » Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:43 pm

I've started a project called Ply, a 3D mesh editor. Well, actually my first milestone goal is to make it a basic 3D mesh editor. Currently though it does little more than load and display triangle meshes from an OBJ file (meaning OBJ spec not fully implemented - yet). If the design at the M1 stage is good, I might like to take it further. Ply is the first project I've ever really done in CL, so I'm of course looking for any one willing to critique my code. ;)

Jeff

Post by Jeff » Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:52 am

I just wrote an RPC server that acts as a background synchronization mechanism between our Django-powered website and our back-end media system.
Jeff Ober
---
Old programmers don't die; they just parse on...

holygoat

Post by holygoat » Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:12 pm

I'm maintaining a backend mobile search server, and adding new and exciting features to my SPARQL implementation. Too... busy...

Kohath

Post by Kohath » Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:26 pm

I'm writing a hangman game in CLISP with cl-opengl on windows (2d). Next project I'll start to learn cl-sdl though. One sticking point for me was adapting my programming to the event based OOP that opengl uses. Once I did, however, some things simplified :P, and some got harder :?. I know some people look down on it, but I love it when I run the program, switch across and modify the code, go back to the running program and reload it. It's slick!