Graphics in SBCL

Discussion of Common Lisp
PMla1730

Graphics in SBCL

Post by PMla1730 » Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:46 am

As a prospective SBCL user I would like to know what graphics facilities are available for (1) monitoring the progress of a long running program (eg in Genetic Programming) and also (2) for the more general situation of displaying program results (eg graphs and statistics, not animation).

tlareywi

Re: Graphics in SBCL

Post by tlareywi » Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:56 am

In the past, I've just output to a text file in GNU plot format and refreshed the plot when I wanted to see an update. There's also http://www.cl-user.net/asp/libs/cl-plplot (never used it). If you need something more interactive or beyond text and plots, you can also check into the lisp SDL bindings, lispbuilder-sdl.

schoppenhauer

Post by schoppenhauer » Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:33 pm

i am using lispbuilder-sdl for most graphical things (since it is very easy). sometimes (when i need graphic-files) i also use cl-gd, a cffi-binding for libgd.
Sorry for my bad english.
Visit my blog http://blog.uxul.de/

Exolon

Post by Exolon » Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:23 pm

PMla1730 wrote:As a prospective SBCL user I would like to know what graphics facilities are available for (1) monitoring the progress of a long running program (eg in Genetic Programming) and also (2) for the more general situation of displaying program results (eg graphs and statistics, not animation).
Hi,

Just out of curiosity, what information do you intend to visualise and how? In my GP runs I just echo the best fitness found so far after each tournament. I suppose a plot of the fitness values over time would be nice as a quick visual update on how well things are progressing.

vityok

Post by vityok » Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:28 am

I would recommend to pay a little bit of attention to ADW-CHARTING and VECTO packages. The first is for plotting various charts and the second is for drawing images using vector operations.