Multi-core utilization in SBCL

Discussion of Common Lisp
Yaotzin

Multi-core utilization in SBCL

Post by Yaotzin » Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:35 pm

I'm new to SBCL and Common Lisp in general, and I recently ran into a bit of a problem and have struggled(gooogled) for hours to find a good solution or even explanation, to no avail.

The program I'm writing currently creates ~12 threads which run concurrently, and I expected that between them all they'd be able to occupy all 4 CPU cores in my system, but it appears as though only one core is seeing any activity from them.

The SBCL manual here: http://www.sbcl.org/manual/Threading.html#Threading specifically says that threads can take advantage of hardware multiprocessing. Am I missing/misunderstanding something? Is there something I'm likely to be doing wrong?

findinglisp

Re: Multi-core utilization in SBCL

Post by findinglisp » Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:50 pm

SBCL should utilize multiple cores. It uses native threads. You're likely doing something wrong, but I have no idea what it might be.
Cheers, Dave
Slowly but surely the world is finding Lisp. http://www.findinglisp.com/blog/

metageek

Post by metageek » Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:43 am

I don't know SBCL threading specifically, but here's some sorts of things that you could run into in any threading environment:
  • Your task may be I/O-bound instead of CPU-bound (that is, it spends most of its time waiting for, say, disk access).
  • You may have too-large locks, which wind up serializing the program so that threads spend most of their time waiting for locks.
  • If your threads are using a producer/consumer model, you may be bottlenecked on the producer.

blandest

Post by blandest » Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:56 am

I've managed to get 100% CPU utilization on a dual core system with just 2 threads. Try this:

(dotimes (k 2) (sb-thread:make-thread (lambda () (loop with x = 0 do (incf x)))))

If you do a (print) instead of some computation than you'll not be able to stress the CPU because time will be wasted on IO operations.
You can also post your code :)

Yaotzin

Post by Yaotzin » Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:29 pm

It looks like you were all either entirely correct or at least had the right idea.

I was using top to monitor the CPU usage and it turns out that I couldn't tell the difference between using 25% each of 4 cores and using all of one. I'm obviously hitting some other kind of bottleneck, but I'm not sure where. I'm not performing any kind of IO, it's exclusively CPU and RAM here. They shouldn't be waiting around for locks too often, either, but it's possible there are scenarios I didn't take into consideration.

Anyway, hopefully I'll be able to find my problem. Thanks a bunch for trying to help, everyone.

bsdfish

Post by bsdfish » Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:39 pm

When I was doing matrix operations in SBCL which I thought should be completely parallelized, I was getting about a 2.5x speedup on a 4 core machine. I suspect that memory issues were the reason -- each core has cache contention issues and also, the memory bandwidth may be limited.

If you have a large amount of memory, you may want to increase the gc-limit to make gc occur less often, as that's not in parallel (I think), and increasing the limit to 500mb on a 32gb machine sped up my application substantially.

Yaotzin

Post by Yaotzin » Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:22 pm

Thank you, bsdfish!

I was able to increase CPU utilization from ~25% to ~70% without making any changes other than tweaking the gc settings as you suggested. I hadn't even suspected that the gc would be running frequently enough to have that sort of impact, so I likely would have been on the wrong track for a long time without your help.

I'll hopefully be able to get better performance down the line by optimizing and breaking up the work differently in an attempt to avoid issues related to cache size and memory bandwidth, but this is already a huge improvement.

bsdfish

Post by bsdfish » Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:32 am

Glad it helped. I suspect that the garbage collector is not tuned for parallelism and large memory sizes; I think that increasing the (bytes-consed-between-gcs) is a good idea on any machine with a large amount of memory. In fact, SBCL has some other issues with the address space; last I checked, it was only able to use 8gb of RAM though it may have changed. In any case, trying to cons less, perhaps with more type declarations, is advantageous for better performance.