Quicklisp Not Loading Systems Weirdness: Help needed

Discussion of programming Lisps using Emacs, including SLIME and other tools
macrolyte

Quicklisp Not Loading Systems Weirdness: Help needed

Post by macrolyte » Mon May 26, 2014 1:22 pm

I recently installed SBCL (MS Windows not Cygwin), Emacs (MS Windows not Cygwin), Slime, and Quicklisp. The problem is Quicklisp; when I first installed it everything was okay until:

Code: Select all

(ql:add-to-init-file)
Which failed and froze the REPL! I realized there wasn't a .sbclrc file so I created it, and tried again, same result. So I added the relevant code to the .sbclrc :

(let ((quicklisp-init (merge-pathnames "quicklisp/setup.lisp"
                                         (user-homedir-pathname))))
    (when (probe-file quicklisp-init)
      (load quicklisp-init)))
I checked 'merge-pathnames and it is correct for the file path. Now it loads Quicklisp, but not the systems I downloaded (alexandria and bordeaux-threads). I can load and use both packages via:

(ql:quickload "alexandria")
(ql:quickload "bordeaux-threads")
but shouldn't they load when I start Slime? This isn't the usual behavior I get from Quicklisp. Thanks.

Goheeca

Re: Quicklisp Not Loading Systems Weirdness: Help needed

Post by Goheeca » Mon May 26, 2014 2:30 pm

It sounds like unusual behaviour to me loading quicklisp's systems on their own. I'm used to load packages which I want.
cl-2dsyntax is my attempt to create a Python-like reader. My mirror of CLHS (and the dark themed version). Temporary mirrors of aferomentioned: CLHS and a dark version.

macrolyte

Post by macrolyte » Mon May 26, 2014 3:39 pm

Goheeca wrote:It sounds like unusual behaviour to me loading quicklisp's systems on their own. I'm used to load packages which I want.
I thought that each system was loaded at slime/quicklisp startup ; so you're saying the default behavior is to load a system as I described above?! If so, I'll defer to your opinion.

Goheeca

Post by Goheeca » Tue May 27, 2014 2:39 am

If you have a system installed you can loaded it by:

(require :system-name)
there exist many options how to do it.
I've finally set up ASDF's config file ~/.config/common-lisp/source-registry.conf.d/quicklisp.conf:

(:tree "~/path-to-quicklisp/dists/")
and now I can write little lisp script files beginning with:

(require :asdf) ;ASDF is included in SBCL
(require :system-name)
the key thing is that I don't have to load .sbclrc manually in a script file during running SBCL with the --script switch turned on.
cl-2dsyntax is my attempt to create a Python-like reader. My mirror of CLHS (and the dark themed version). Temporary mirrors of aferomentioned: CLHS and a dark version.

Goheeca

Post by Goheeca » Tue May 27, 2014 3:52 am

Don't forget expand the tilde in quicklisp.conf otherwise it doesn't work under normal windows command prompt.