Lame topic - what about color themes?

Discussion of programming Lisps using Emacs, including SLIME and other tools
Exolon

Re: Lame topic - what about color themes?

Post by Exolon » Fri Oct 10, 2008 4:56 pm

TheGZeus wrote:Also from a night-vision-goggles thing. They use green so the light produced that you see is as dim as possible but still visible.
Good point, although I heard that military use red lighting when dropping people from planes at night, because it allows them to read maps and such in the plane without interfering with their night vision so much (so they're not blinded for long when/after they jump!) - perhaps red light causes the pupil to contract less?
Oh well, a tad off-topic but interesting nonetheless :)

Paul Donnelly

Post by Paul Donnelly » Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:20 pm

Exolon wrote:
TheGZeus wrote:Also from a night-vision-goggles thing. They use green so the light produced that you see is as dim as possible but still visible.
Good point, although I heard that military use red lighting when dropping people from planes at night, because it allows them to read maps and such in the plane without interfering with their night vision so much (so they're not blinded for long when/after they jump!) - perhaps red light causes the pupil to contract less?
The rod cells in your retina (those are the ones responsible for night vision) don't detect red light, so when you use a red light the cones take over and the rods stay adapted to darkness.

Exolon

Post by Exolon » Sat Oct 11, 2008 9:51 am

Paul Donnelly wrote:The rod cells in your retina (those are the ones responsible for night vision) don't detect red light, so when you use a red light the cones take over and the rods stay adapted to darkness.
Thanks Paul, nicely and concisely explained. I'll save up this information for trivia during a lull in some party :)